Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Rosberg not backing down in championship battle

6 October 2015

Rosberg not backing down in championship battle

Nico Rosberg says he is "not backing down" in the F1 2015 championship fight, despite losing more ground to team-mate Lewis Hamilton in Japan. 
© Octane Photographic
The German finished the race at Suzuka in second place, while Hamilton took a dominant victory. Ahead of this weekend’s race in Russia, Rosberg says the battle is far from over. 


"Once I got back from Japan, I was able to focus on the positive elements from my weekend in Suzuka: pole position, the on-track pass on Bottas and then having the speed to undercut Vettel’s Ferrari at the second pit-stop," he said. 

"I’m not backing down in my fight for the championship and gaining those positions back fair and square showed that. We have five races to go and, although the championship gap to Lewis is quite big, in my mind it’s definitely not over yet. 

"I really enjoyed our first trip to Russia last year and it was an awesome weekend for the team. So, I’m aiming to put all those tools they’ve given me to good use and bring home a top result."

Hamilton took victory at the inaugural Russian Grand Prix last year and is hopeful of adding another win to his tally: "Suzuka was a really special weekend for me and another fantastic result for the team. 

"The car was unbelievable to drive in Japan, so hopefully it’ll be more of the same at the remaining races – starting in Sochi. Last year was the first experience I’d had of Russia in my racing career and we had a great race there.

"It was great to win the first race for Formula 1 in Russia and a fantastic moment for the team to take the title there last time out. Fingers crossed we can add to those great memories again this weekend – I’ll be pushing as hard as I can to make that happen."

This article first appeared on Richland F1.

No comments: