Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Rossi to drive for Manor in Singapore

16 September 2015

Rossi to drive for Manor in Singapore

Manor Marussia has confirmed that Alexander Rossi will compete for the team in five of the remaining seven races of the 2015 season. 
© Manor Marussia F1 Team
Rossi will make his F1 debut at this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix, replacing Roberto Merhi. He is currently second in the GP2 championship, driving for Racing Engineering. 


Merhi will join Fabio Leimer as a reserve driver for Manor, but will be back in the car at the Russian Grand Prix and this year's season finale in Abu Dhabi. 

Rossi will be the first American driver to compete in F1 since Scott Speed in 2007. The 23-year-old was previously a test driver at the Caterham F1 team before switching to a reserve driver role at Manor for the latter part of the 2014 season. 

"I’m very thankful to race for the Manor Marussia F1 team and for their continued belief in me," he said. "I’ve been prepared for this opportunity for quite a while now. Many will know from 2014 that the team and I already have a strong relationship and there’s a bit of unfinished business for me here. 

"This is a small F1 team that has been through so much. They exemplify passion and true strength of character, and their comeback this season is extraordinary. I’m honored to be part of this legacy and their continued growth and success. 

"I want to thank the management at Manor Marussia F1 Team and my team in the GP2 series, Racing Engineering, for supporting both my F1 duties and the completion of an already strong GP2 campaign. 

"Since Monza, my return to F1 came together rather quickly and seamlessly. The collective support of both Manor and Racing Engineering was instrumental in making this opportunity possible." 

"Singapore is a circuit I really enjoy and the timing of my debut could not be more perfect. There’s a lot of work ahead and I’m looking forward to a busy end to the 2015 season."

This article first appeared on Richland F1

No comments: