Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Hulkenberg: 2014 my best season yet

18 December 2014

Hulkenberg: 2014 my best season yet

Nico Hulkenberg says 2014 was his best season in Formula 1 and believes having Sergio Perez as his team-mate helped him to raise his game.
© Octane Photographic
The German driver failed to secure his maiden podium in the sport, but enjoyed a positive fourth campaign in F1, finishing ninth in the overall standings.

His season started strongly, with 10 consecutive points finishes. Hulkenberg suffered a few retirements and non-scores in the second part of the year, but signed off 2014 with sixth place at the double points finale in Abu Dhabi.

"I think on the whole I’m pretty satisfied with 2014," he told the official Formula 1 website. "It was my best season in terms of points scored and my position in the championship.

"The first half of the year was a lot of fun - that was when the car was at its most competitive and we made that count. The four P5 finishes were results we worked hard to achieve and were definitely the highlights.

"Monaco stands out for me because it was such a tough race and I really had to nurse my super-soft tyres in the last 20 laps. I also remember my overtaking move on Kevin [Magnussen] at Portier.

"The second half of the year was more challenging. Things did not really go my way and I was quite unlucky in several races. But it was good to end the season with a strong result in Abu Dhabi."

Commenting on his decision to return to Force India after just one year at Sauber, he explained: "The decision at the end of 2013 was not so much about leaving Sauber, but about the opportunity at Force India - a team I already knew very well.

"There were lots of factors in that decision, but Force India with the Mercedes engine seemed like the best combination. Yes, it proved to be the right decision. Sometimes you need some luck."

When asked about the relationship he has with Perez, who will remain his team-mate for 2015, he replied: "Checo is a very strong team mate, which is a good thing because it helps bring out the best in me. The first year with Rubens [Barrichello] was interesting and tough. He was very quick. He also taught me a lot.

"My relationship with Checo is very competitive but also healthy. We both want to beat each other but we get on okay and work well together to move the team forward."

He will become the first active F1 driver to compete at the 24 Hours of Le Mans since 2009 when he races the third Porsche 919 Hybrid next year. He will also contest the 6 Hours of Spa for the German manufacturer in 2015 and completed his first test behind the wheel of the LMP1 car in Spain last week. 

"Just a few days ago I completed my first test in the Porsche 919," he said. "My first impressions are very positive, although I have very little experience in those cars. Driving at Le Mans is something I’ve always wanted to do. It’s a legendary race. So of course I look forward to this little extra challenge in 2015."

No comments: