Google+ Jack Leslie F1: Ocon, Fong and Nissany complete Valencia F1 test

24 October 2014

Ocon, Fong and Nissany complete Valencia F1 test

Esteban Ocon, Adderly Fong and Roy Nissany completed a test at the Valencia circuit in Spain on Wednesday and Thursday.
© Octane Photographic
Ocon was at the wheel of a two-year-old Lotus on both days, while Fong and Nissany were given one session apiece driving a Sauber C31 from 2012.

It was the first time that all three drivers had tested F1 machinery. Ocon's run-out was part of the Lotus F1 junior programme and as a reward for taking the 2014 Formula 3 European Championship title.

He impressed, completing over 650 kilometres - with the required mileage for an F1 FIA superlicense being 300 kilometres.

"The test driving the Lotus F1 Team E20 went really well," said the Frenchman. "I had to adapt to the car quite rapidly which I did very well. I felt comfortable with the team straight away and the same with the E20.

"The car was easy to drive, stable and very enjoyable; it is a great car. I’m really happy with this two-day test and I hope to the get the opportunity to jump into the F1 car again soon."

Alan Permane, the team's trackside operations director, added: "Esteban drove exceptionally well over the course of the last two days, completing every task we asked of him. It's clear he has a lot of talent as he was quickly up to speed and looked comfortable in the car.

"His feedback and aptitude were very promising. I'm sure we will see him in an F1 car again before too long."
Fong, who raced in the GP3 series earlier in the year and has recently switched focus to the Audi R8 LMS Cup, was at the wheel of the Sauber C31 on Wednesday.

He managed 99 laps and completed 396 kilometres. "I am very happy that I had the opportunity to test the Sauber C31," said the Chinese driver.

"I have achieved my objective to complete 300 km without making any mistakes and at a good speed. The car was fantastic to drive, it is a brilliant piece of machinery. With so much horse power and high down force, it is a difficult car to learn, but I was able to improve lap by lap.

"I really want to thank Sauber and Ferrari for providing me such a good package today. It was great being able to test the car at the track in Valencia, having started Formula 3 testing here in 2009."

Nissany, who finished 17th in this year's FIA Formula 3 European Championship standings, completed the same number of laps after taking over driving duties on Thursday.

"It was an amazing day. It was my first time driving a Formula 1 car, and it felt great," said the Israeli. "I was quite excited at the beginning, and I think I feel more experienced now. Going through the fast corners with this high amount of downforce and adapting my driving style to this car was not easy, but I managed to do everything well.

"I am very happy with today’s outcome, not just from my side, but also from the team’s side, as everyone works very professionally. I knew the track in Valencia, so I think that was a good advantage."

No comments: